Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thoughts on Reading



Winston Churchill once said,"If you cannot read all of your books, at any rate handle, or as it were fondle them - peer into them, let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests the eye, set them back on the shelves with your own hands, arrange them on your own plan so that you at least know where they are. Let them be your friends; let them at any rate be your acquaintance."
(Gilbar, 1990)- excerpted from Strategies That Work by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis

Waiting on my nightstand are:
The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy
The Pursuit of Happyness by Christ Gardner
Quiet Moments for Grandmothers by Kay Marshall Strom
The Song of Kahunsha by Anosh Irani
The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

What's waiting for your attention and a rainy day?

The picture shows a stack of old German books from my grandparents that my Mom and Dad have on their bookshelf.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing quite like a good day of reading, just to find a comfy spot and read until you're tired or finished. I've enjoyed a few days like that here. I hope you're getting a few in, too. Did you get snow yesterday like they did in Calgary? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too much on my reading plate right now. I just don't have time. However, Helayna has been enjoying books more and more which I love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Great photo sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a reader... It is a shame what my education and my career did to me... When you spend 7 years HAVING to read, daily, and analyze and summarize and and and... You don't enjoy it anymore. Something I am trying to change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished A Joyful Mother of Children. it was SO GOOD. Now I am reading teaching children values. ANd looking for a good fiction too.

    ReplyDelete