Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Old Buildings

Old buildings are fascinating so when we went on our Sunday drive a while back, we found this old schoolhouse and stopped to enjoy it. My parents both attended schools like this so I've heard some stories about their experiences. I thought "if only these walls could talk"!



These big windows faced out onto the schoolyard or playground. The grassy yard had a ball diamond and was surrounded with big trees. I'm sure many games were played out here at noon hours.




The other side with the main doors.




Imagine the traffic these doors have seen.




And the little house outback, a fixture at every one room schoolhouse!

5 comments:

  1. Where did you go on your drive? I'd like to hear my grandparents' stories about these places, too. I can't imagine what it would have been like to teach all the students in one room. There's so much history of theirs I don't know and should really take the time to listen to. Hmmm... a project for my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 AM

    How pretty. And what beautiful pictures!

    My mom attended a one room school house for her elementary education, and next to our house is an old schoolhouse which is now our Sunday School. (Both of these buildings are bigger than the one you pictured.)

    I just love this kind of historic charm--I'm glad to see it still standing.

    XO,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those boards!! And those doors!! Oh man would I love to get my hands on those things... What an amazing floor those boards would make! And those doors hung outside... Nothing beats a good century old building!! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that too when we go for drives. Right now I am on the look out for rusty vehicles, preferably a truck. To take some nice pics of the kids with. They would look great in black and white.

    ReplyDelete