Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ten on Tuesday

1. Reminiscing lots today about 1 year ago when we were packing and nearly ready to leave for Europe and a visit with Tyler and Melinda. I think I'll have to look through the photo albums this week and relive our trip. I may have to share a few more pictures this month too. I had such a wonderful time and would go anywhere there again in a heartbeat!

Images from our first trip to Krakow




One of the many, many windows that captivated me during our trip.




Our friendly, knowledgeable, and beautiful tour guide :)) standing in a doorway at Wawel Castle




Growing on a wall in the old city




In front of the cathedral in Wawel Castle

2. There was a definite crunch to the grass and leaves today when I walked outside. Autumn is making her presence known already.

3. My latest preserving endeavor has been red pepper jelly! 12 beautiful jars are lined up on the shelf and it was ever so easy to do. I will definitely add this to my list of must-dos next summer. I'm hoping they will make lovely gifts.

4. Have you ever noticed how very quiet it is when you are home for a day or two all by yourself? The silence is very good for reflecting and contemplating.

5. Major reorganizing and purging happening in the basement these days :))

6. I'm trying to find a good recipe for true European plum kuchen but I think I'm going to have to call a certain aunt that I know. The recipe I tried today did not produce the desired effect. And baking plums reminds me of Europe and the delectable plum pastries we had at a great little bake shop in Katowice.

7. I thought you might like to check out a new blog. I love the name Lime in the Coconuts and the the photos Linda shares of homes around the world are so beautiful. I hope you'll enjoy your visit via her blog.

8. It's the first day of school in our area today and while I thought of my colleagues, I didn't miss going back at all. And I got my first call to substitute today so I will be going back on Thursday - to teach language arts, social studies and home economics at the high school in the building where I first started teaching. The good thing is that I'll know most of the kids - and it will be very interesting to see them again. I could use your prayers for this new experience - thanks!

9. Still enjoying my flower pots, which have all come home after being at Naomi's for her sister-in-law's wedding earlier this summer. I love the fragrance as I go back and forth across the patio



This fantastic flower tree made of petunias was growing at an outlet mall in Oregon this summer.

10. Here's another salad recipe, as promised a long time ago!

Tuna Waldorf Salad
from the Western Producer newspaper

Chop one red apple into bite sized wedges after coring. Add 1 stalk chopped celery and 2 Tbsps. chopped walnuts. Drain 1 6 oz. tin of tuna and toss together. Drizzle with 2 - 3 Tbsps. coleslaw dressing and serve with fresh bread. This salad travels great and is an excellent choice for lunches. It's so easy, nutritious and delicious. Try it soon!!

6 comments:

  1. Will be thinking of you on Thursday - Go in His strength and have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have had frost out there already. I feel like we barely had summer. I'm not ready for fall yet.
    Wow, are you surprised you got your first sub call? Your calendar will be full quickly. I know they love you over there. I sent in my application, so we'll see what comes of it. I have to connect with a few pricinciples and teachers. We'll be praying.
    Tyler and I were remembering your visit to Europe this week as well. It was lots of fun, and we did see so many beautiful parts of it. I'd really like to go back to Rothenburg and the Romantic Road. It just went by way too fast. Thanks for coming though. I love sharing these experiences with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind sharing with me the weight and the price you paid for the A&H Washing Soda? Thanks!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels like autumn here too! I hope we have some nice days ahead of us yet...I am not ready for fall and winter yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a year ago already?! That seems crazy!
    Love your list - can't wait to try the red pepper jelly! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been a week to reminisce as John put in the CD of our Europe trip and played them on our TV. We too would go back in a heart beat! SO much history, so much to see!

    You have been in my prayers! Yay for your first call to sub! I am sure God will provide for you!!

    Thanks for another great salad recipe too!! :o)

    ReplyDelete