Monday, May 07, 2012

Dearest Favourite Food of Mine

Dearest Pizza, the fairest of the foods -

I am writing this letter to tell you just how much I adore you!  And to show the grade 5 and 6 students that teachers write when students write.

The sight of you emerging hot and steaming from the oven is one of the best parts of any day that I get to enjoy you.  Your rustic thin crust pokes out around the edges of the pan, baked to just the right shade  of toasty gold.   A thin coating of bright red tomato sauce peeks out from under layers and layers of meat and veggies and then bubbling mozzarella cheese melts smoothly over your toppings, trapping them forever.

Your smell is so enticing, wafting through the house and calling me to come to the kitchen.  The basil and oregano mixed in with summer's tomatoes makes my mouth water.  There is no fooling me about what's in the oven when my nose catches those drifting notes.

But the moment of deepest enjoyment comes when my teeth sink into you and pull away a chunk of all your goodness.  Of course the cheese strings out and a few wayward toppings drop off on the way to my mouth but it doesn't matter.  I capture enough to confirm that you haven't changed a bit since the last time I had a friend of yours and that I still love you best of all.   I indulge in several pieces and then tuck away any leftovers for tomorrow.  For it doesn't matter to me if you are leftover and chilled, you will still taste wonderfully delicious for breakfast or lunch or a snack.

So thank you, my friend, for all the enjoyable meals you have provided for me over the years.  I have cherished every mouthful!

Until our next rendezvous,
Devotedly yours,
Crystal

P.S.  Just to let you know, I've been experimenting with a few of your cousins and I think I have a new favourite crust recipe.  It just makes you even better, my dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment