I am on chapter 4 in One Thousand Gifts (you can read the first chapter by following this link) by Ann Voskamp and I must tell you that it is absolutely amazing! Last night I read about how she first started the list and felt that sometimes it seemed almost trivial. (And I could really understand what she was thinking.) But then she realized that God first named things as He created them and at the end of each day, "God saw that it was good." And if He names the good, then why wouldn't we? And when we name what is good in our days, we find our identity and God's identity.
"To name a thing is to manifest the meaning and value that God gave it." (Teresa of Avila as quoted in the book)
"God is in the details; God is in the moment." (Ann Voskamp)
And God is in my living as I count His gifts to me.
- phone conversations with our children - still 4 of my favourite people in the whole wide world!
- creating with paper and fabric
- putting away the last of the Christmas things and savouring the memories
- this place we have that is our home
- rearranging little corners in the house
- Sunday's message to live "God's foolishness"
- a water well project to support
- Carrot Ginger Muffins - oh, my!
- sun shining on the snow
- being able to stay inside when the temperature plummets to -30 degrees C and lower
- a clean counter and dishes drying in the sink
- fresh ingredients for a stir-fry supper
- the rice cooker bubbling away
- winter world painted white with a fluffy brush
- fat red Peppermint Creme candle from Pier 1
- comfy fleece jacket
- sending mail
- finding photographs from last spring
- clean laundry, still warm from the dryer
- clean and organized spaces
- blocks of color all lined up
- fresh baked cakes
- my Bible stick and headphones
- feeling wrapped in God's goodness
- knowing that what seems foolish to the world - God's giving of His son - is my lifeline and my hope