Friday, June 29, 2007

The Classroom



"The classroom should be an entrance into the world, not an escape from it." John Ciardi

I hope that has been true for the students I've taught over the years. This quote has been like a guiding principle for me as a teacher. I strived to link our learning to their lives and to what they would experience when they went home. I wanted them to connect to things they had seen and also to things they had never heard of before. And then I wanted them to yearn to know more about the people, places and things that were out there just waiting to be explored. I think I did that!

And so today I go back to finish the paperwork (there's quite a mountain of it!) and dismantle the corner of the room that was my 'office'. There's a closet full of binders, books and other stuff, a desk with 4 drawers to empty, and a bookshelf that's about half full of teacher resources. Oh, yeah - and the filing cabinet! 4 drawers of paper - that could take a while! The paper recycling will need to be emptied a few times, I'm sure!! I was there until 10 p.m. last night and sorted all of my children's story books. I knew I had many but not that many!! I'll show you how many tomorrow, okay?!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Wow, Crystal, that's quite a job.

    I can't help but wonder if you're surrounded by a wistful nostalgia while you clean out your classroom? I know that you're not leaving forever, but I imagine even a year away would seem like a long, long time.

    Thinking of you, as you wade through the papers...

    XO,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal, just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you as you "pack up" your things. It must be Bittersweet for you, but you can take this year off and enjoy your family & friends to the fullest. I wish you many good things as you start another chapter in your life. Hope to see you over the Summer Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does it feel to be finished? Good and scary at the same time, I bet. I know that your students will have great memories of you, your teaching and concern for them. One day one student will see you and tell you how much impact you had on them.

    ReplyDelete