Saturday, November 10, 2012

NaBloPoMo #5

NaBloPoMo #5 - If you could have any job you want, what would it be?

I still really love teaching so I'm not sure I would change that.  But I've always had a heart for helping children in other parts of the world and haven't really done much about going and being part of that.

My niece has a dream about building a school in China and I wish that I spoke Mandarin (or any other language for that matter!) so I could go and help her.  Working with girls in Afghanistan, teaching in Africa, or going to any place in the world where there are huge education needs would be something that I'd like to experience.

In 2004 I spent 2 weeks doing professional development with teachers in western Belize alongside 3 colleagues from our school division.  The teachers were so receptive and so excited to learn more about helping their students.  They did their jobs with so few materials and supplies.  Their classes were big, their schools had the bare minimum in furniture and books -  and still they worked so hard to make a difference with and for their students.  My time spent in San Ignacio was the highlight of my career and remains an incredible memory!

Having said that, I'd really like to work as a tour guide somewhere with lots of history, cool buildings, and unique experiences.  The little hurdle of language skills pops up but the question assumes that all the requirements for the job would somehow magically happen.  (Ah, dreams!)   I know the travel industry is a hard business - long hours, demanding clients, on the road often - but it's always had a pull on me.

So - do tell - what would your dream job be?

No comments:

Post a Comment