Saturday, November 03, 2012

Five on Friday

  1.

Quote of the Day
“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1926-2004);
psychiatrist, author


2.   Did you know that  within 72 hours you’ll forget 95 percent of what you heard? 

3.  This week I popped a lovely little chicken into my slow cooker, added a little paprika and garlic salt, filled the cavity with an onion and a whole head of garlic (following the ideas here) - and walked away for 7+ hours.  When I got home, the house smelled yummy and supper was nearly ready.  I cooked some potatoes, squeezed the head of roasted garlic into them and (s)mashed the whole lot together.  Some gravy from the slow cooker drippings and cooked creamed cabbage rounded out a  most delicious meal!  You should try it!  I'm so glad I took N's advice and tried this method.  




4.  I started a little sewing project this week - but I can't show you because it's going to be a Christmas present.  I like how it's turning out so far :)  Next up - some pouches for the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.

5.  Photo of the week:




the birthday girl with her Olympic swimming pool cake
(her Mama is so creative!)

1 comment:

  1. That quote is just stunning. And so true. I have also been cooking my chicken in a slow cooker - I crumple some tin foil on the bottom of the pot so the chicken doesn't boil in its juices, and that works well too. I must try the whole head of garlic! The slow cooker has been a godsend, given the long ago demise of the oven. I must get that sorted before Christmas with the whole brood coming home. I don't think any turkey would fit in a slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete