Monday, November 05, 2012

NaBloPoMo - #3


Halloween 2012 

I was so surprised to run and open the door after the doorbell rang and see 7 - yes, seven! - trick or treaters standing there!  We never get that many kids at one time ever!  They crowded into the entryway and I started to recognize faces from my days of subbing at the local school. 

Little Miss S was surprised to see me - “Mrs. K, I didn’t know you lived here!” 

As I dropped bags of chips, boxes of Smarties, and bars of KitKats into their pillowcases, one bigger boy piped up with “It smells like chicken in here.”  

“Yes,” I said, “if I had known you were coming, I would have made some for you.”  

“Hey, can I trade candy for chicken?” was his immediate response!

I’m sure I will remember that response each and every Halloween from now on because it was so spontaneous and so unique.  Candy for chicken - imagine!!  Who would have thought I’d hear that on Halloween night?  It was probably his stomach screaming for protein after a long day of sugary treats!

(Using an idea from Write.Click.Scrapbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment