Monday, August 17, 2009

Simple Woman #55




For Today . . . August 17, 2009

Outside my window. . . summer day, fluffy white clouds, sunshine and a cool breeze blowing in.

I am thankful . . . for safety as we work with machinery on tight timelines, trying to finish before storms come.

And I am also thankful . . . for seeing our five grandchildren and knowing that their parents are being diligent in bringing them to know and grow with God.

I am praying . . . for wisdom to do what God wants me to do, even if it is contrary to the world's wisdom and ways.

I am thinking . . . about what to bake for the weekend - hiking and helping days.

I am celebrating . . . the goodness of summer - weather, produce and activities.

From the kitchen . . . borscht, pasta with creamy shrimp and peapods, and cooked raspberry jam.

I am wearing . . . blue shorts, Edmonton Oilers hockey tshirt, and runners.

I am reading . . . just finished Still Alice by Lisa Genova - the story of a university professor who slowly (or not so slowly) loses her thoughts and memory to Alzheimer's disease. This is the September selection for our book club and I'm going to do a seperate post reviewing it - it's powerful!

I am hoping . . . that we have zero breakdowns as we make silage this week!

I am hearing . . . the drone of a 150 horsepower tractor as it pulls a forage harvester and hy-dump along the green-yellow barley laid down in rows across the field.

I am creating . . . a cover for my gratitude journal.

Around the house and yard . . . recycling piled high, compost (beet tops and bean ends) to take to the garden, map and hiking book on the table, and more laundry piled up. And making me happy on the patio - my beautiful rosebush is just breaking open with more gorgeous red blossoms!

One of my favourite things . . . making a meal using meat, vegetables and berries that we've grown ourselves.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . silage today and tomorrow, seeing Meadow and Blake, book club gathering, helping Heather and Jonathan move on the weekend, lots of garden things to keep ahead of and grass to cut.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you . .



These little shoes waiting outside the door of the tent make me smile!! Memories make me happy!

5 comments:

  1. I hope silaging goes well and so does the move this weekend. Give hugs to the Dreberts and Molls from us when you see them. We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, Still Alice. Powerful is right!! Glad you had a chance to read it, I can't wait for the author's next book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read th ebook - I must look out for it when I get back next week. I love your Simple Woman posts, Crystal - you sound so happy!
    I have been spending a lot of time with my boys and granddaughter, and oh, how I am loving it all. Being a Granny is such fun! I will be back to normal posting and reading when I get home. So much to see and do here at the mo. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silage time already??!! Hope you don't have any breakdowns and it goes smoothly for you.....breakdowns are a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos are too cute!

    I would like to borrow that book from you when you are done, if you don't mind. You could be my personal library. :)

    I hope silaging is going/went well.

    ReplyDelete