Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

They say that we learn to parent by the way we have been parented and now when I look back, I know that my Mom was a great example for me. Her generosity, caring, strong faith, respect for family, volunteerism and homemaking talents gave me such a strong foundation. I grew up with morals, values and the expectation that everything we did was to be done to the very best of our ability (that would explain the perfectionist side of me). I've become my own person now and I have the highest regard and love for both of my parents. But today is about Moms and here are some treasured pictures of mine. (Thanks to my sister, E, for taking so many of these over the years and for sharing them!)



The only picture I have that has my Mom and my two Grandmas in it. Taken in 1954 at my parents' wedding, it's a treasured piece of history for me. And I love how proud her Dad, on the left hand side, looks!




When she came with us to Nova Scotia for Mel's convocation, we went to Pier 21, the place where her parents landed when they first emigrated to Canada. It was so emotional for her as she saw the displays and recalled the stories her Mom had told her. This is one of the best things we've ever done together.



She still loves to have us all come home to their house for Christmas.


She has been a big part of the farm where we grew up.



I need to ask her how many quarts of cream she's seperated over the years - it's probably in the hundreds of thousands!





No one can bake delicious pies like she does!




She has always loved gardening - she certainly didn't pass that on to me!






And my other mother has a special place in my heart too. Her son is my life's partner and friend and I see glimpses of her in him. She taught me everything I know about raising chickens and calves and how to be a great mother-in-law! I have just a couple of pictures of her, because I don't have as big a collection of photos of her (something I need to gather from her one of these winters).




Bob's mom with Darrin on his 1st birthday (30 years ago!).




Bob's mom and her mother, Granny S, with our 3 girls a long, long time ago!

Happy Mother's Day to each of you Mom's!

6 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to your Mum, Crystal...and to your mother in law too. Have a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are such special women. We have so many questions for them about their past, what life was like when they were our age, stories about their parents...you can see we need to spend a few afternoons visiting with them this summer.
    Happy Mother's Day to you, too!!! We love you so much. We'll celebrate with you in a week and bring a little treat from Poland for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love all the photos you posted too!
    Happy Mother's Day to you too! I am so blessed to have a heritage of amazing women who have gone before me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, touching Mother's Day post!
    Happy Mother's Day to you Crystal and to the special Moms in your life.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:03 PM

    Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Crystal! What a nice tribute to both of your mothers. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute!! I hope you had a great Mother's Day too!

    ReplyDelete