Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Creating

Mel had a list of things that she wanted to do when I came to visit and we are getting checkmarks up beside many of them!

One was going to the u-pick farm (we've actually gone twice) and then freezing berries and making jam.  We've got 5 containers of strawberries and 2 big bags of raspberries in the freezer and we've made 3 jars of strawberry jam plus 5 jars of raspberry jam.



Mel wanted to make the jam with honey 
so we found this new Pomona Pectin and mixed it with honey.
We had 8 cups of mashed berries and 1 cup of honey 
(which is much less sugar to fruit than most recipes use).


They got nice and thick and are ready for winter eating.


Another item was making their apartment more homey with a few decorative touches.  Today's project was taking this lamp that we bought at the thrift store for $20 and recovering the shade.  It was the first time either of us had done anything like this and it was very easy.  It looks great!


Before


After


That's Tyler's medical textbook in which he has to read a chapter for tomorrow's lecture.  

Tomorrow we are going on a hunt for pillowforms so we can make some throw cushions for the living room, using coordinating prints to the lampshade fabric.  It's going to look like a magazine home around here very soon with us two Martha Stewart wanna-bes!!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, that lamp looks awesome! When you come next, you'll have to show me how to do mine. I'm glad you guys are having such a fun, productive time together. Jonathan wants me to make that jam now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping me with all these projects. It's been so wonderful having you here and having someone to give their suggestions and opinions. I wish you were staying longer. I'll think about you every time we have jam and when I see all the creations we made. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lampshade! Well done, girls! Often things are much simpler to do than the thought of doing them is. Well... I know what I mean...
    I am catching up here after being away from the desk. Phones have some limitations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. meant to say that the jam looks wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete