Saturday, October 02, 2010

Making Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut, a staple in Eastern European cooking,  is basically fermented cabbage.  Bob's mom is an expert in making it and she's always been generous and given us several jars each year.  After being married for 34 years, I decided it was something that I really should learn to make and Naomi wanted to learn too, so the 3 of us had a kraut making day.


We started with 16 heads of cabbage, 100 pounds in all.


After a whole lot of grating, using a grater that Bob's grandmother once used -


and lots of salting and mixing, by big hands and little hands, 

we had 2 - 5 gallon pails filled, ready to ferment and turn into delicious sauerkraut.  It should be finished fermenting in about 10 - 14 days and ready to use.  I hope to can most of it and we'll be ready for a feast of sauerkraut and pork hocks!  It seems so easy to do - hopefully it turns out - I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. oh that reminds me of being a little girl. My mom always made it when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:19 PM

    Wow, sounds like quite the productive day! Love the photo of Gramma and Meadow's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness, I love sauerkraut! My mom used to make it when I was little, and it was so delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete