Sunday, August 01, 2010

Simple Woman #97


For Today . . .  July 30, 2010


Outside my window . . . hot and muggy!  We have had more than 19 inches of rain this spring and as soon as the sun comes out, the humidity is sky high and before long thunderstorms are building again.  After 2 years of drought, the moisture is very welcome but it's getting to be a bit much now!

I am thankful . . . that my Mom, Aunt, Sister and Niece have returned home safely from their European trip.  They had a marvelous time and have lots of stories to share.  Now I really want to go and meet these cousins!  

And I also am thankful . . . that all the hailstorms have passed by us.  Some areas nearby have been hit 2 or 3 times already.  The next month will be tense as crops are now headed out and beginning to ripen.  A hailstorm now could wipe out the entire crop.  

I am praying . . . for my children and their families.  I read a chapter from "The Power of A Praying Parent" last night and it made me realize how important it is that I do this specifically.  

I am thinking . . . about what to make for lunch and supper - the never-ending question!

I am creating . . . a little journal for my friend.  

I am celebrating . . . our anniversary today - 34 years!  It doesn't seem like it could be that long but when we look at our children, it definitely is true.  I have our wedding album out and am reminiscing.

From the kitchen . . .  scrambled eggs and bacon (as requested by Helayna), hot dogs and pasta for lunch, chicken, potatoes and corn for supper.  And raspberries for dessert at every meal :)

I am wearing . . .  purple capris, pink tshirt and pink sandals. 

I am reading . . .  
John 14:  6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.   From now on, you do know him and have seen him."



                              The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate - At the turn of the century, a young Southern girl spends countless hours with her grandfather, exploring nature and investigating her world.  She soon discovers that her future, as defined by her parents and the society,  does not offer many options.  Her grandfather is involved in the founding of the National Geographic Society and nourishes his granddaughter's curiousity.  
                               This juvenile read came to me via a recommendation from a librarian and it's been an easy read with interesting storyline and social commentary.  


I am hoping . . .  for lots of sun and many dry days in August.

I am hearing . . .  the voices of our little grandchildren - " "Amma, come, out" and "Gramma, do you wanna play?"

I am going . . . to play alot today!

Around the house and yard . . .  our son-in-law will cut the grass (thank you, J), the rain watered everything, toys are scattered and it's busy.  A good weekend ahead!

One of my favourite things . . .  watching the clouds as they come and go, build and swirl.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . .  playtime and visiting, a trip to the lake, raspberries and weeds to pick in the garden, yogurt to make, rhubarb upside-down cake to bake and a visit to the u-pick strawberry farm.  

A quote for today . . .  







"When you build bridges, you can keep crossing them"~ Rick Pittino

I love this - it's so, so true in every aspect of life!
















Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you . . .  the row of zucchini should have some ready to pick this week!



1 comment:

  1. I heard that you guys have been getting rained on! I think we had it all this spring and now it is the typical dry, hot prairie summer that I had expected! Happy Anniversary-be-lated now! May God bless you with many more years of love and happiness! Love all the pictures of your garden---I am praying that we will have one soon! They don't even have good farmers markets here! :o(

    ReplyDelete