Sunday, November 12, 2006


I went with my mom and dad, sister and 2 nieces to see the play, Hana's Suitcase, this afternoon. It's based on the book by Karen Levine, who did the original radio documentary for CBC. It was such a poignant play to see on Remembrance Day! The ways that war affected, and still affects, children is mind boggling. My niece visited the Terezainstadt camp last summer when she was in Europe so she could really relate to the images. My parents were children when the war was going on and they have memories of family and neighbors being conscripted. My Dad talked (the first time I've ever heard this) about his oldest brother being conscripted and the trauma it brought to their family. He had a little picture of him with a buddy at training camp in 1945 and we stopped later to make some copies of the picture. Tomorrow the son of that brother and his family are going to visit my parents to hear what my dad remembers about that time. This man was just a boy of 5 when his father died in the 1960's so he has no memories of his dad's time in the forces. Apparently my parents even have his uniform! I can't imagine how surprised Gary and his family will be to see it. I love spending time with my parents and hearing about these family memories. It makes me realize just how much I do not know about our past.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the play. It's so neat to be learning more about our family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn all you can and have fun with your family!

    There is only one Aunt left in my family on my mother's side. My daughter and I are hoping to be able to visit her in California as soon as possible. Hopefully she will be able to answer some of the questions about our family history that I, sadly, never had a chance or thought to ask my mother before she died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how little we know, and don't realize until we hear stories or start to talk about it. Grandma & Grandpa have such extensive pasts with so much for us to hear about. I'm glad we get together to spend time talking about these things, and that you heard from your parents some of what they have experienced. These are memories that will last your lifetime. Remind me to go over and see them and ask more questions. Love & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:59 AM

    They have Uncle Herb's uniform. I had not idea. The things you learn....that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete