Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Things to Eat

Last weekend my sister and I spent 24 hours together at a women's retreat just half an hour away from home.  "Beyond Our Borders" was a little look into life in the Congo, into what it means as a Christian to suffer, and what we do as our response.  The main presenter was a young woman who had spent a year on a mission trip in the Congo.  We made African angel ornaments on Friday evening and cooked some African-type foods for lunch on Saturday.  They were all very good but this one salad was absolutely delicious.  Everyone at the event loved it!


I made Country Ham Salad for supper last week and I thought you might like to try it too, especially as we are getting very close to spring and you might be looking to ramp up your recipe stash :)

Country Ham Salad

Salad:
1/2 medium head green cabbage, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 English cucumber, chopped
1 cup ham, cut into slivers
1/2 - 3/4 cup peanuts

Dressing:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. soya sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar
pinch of salt and pepper

Layer salad ingredients on plate or in bowl.  Drizzle with dressing.  Sprinkle peanuts on top.
Serves 4 as a side salad.

Notes:
- I decreased the amount of oil from 1/2 cup because I don't like oily dressings and I think the peanut butter has its own oil.
- I used saskatoon vinegar - I think any fruity vinegars would work here.
- Taste the dressing and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- You could add mushrooms, bean sprouts, or grated carrots too.
- I took leftovers in my lunch the next day and they tasted just as good.
- I think this would be an awesome summer salad, for hot days or picnics.

Thanks for sharing, Leigha!

1 comment: