Thursday, October 30, 2008
Assignment #1 - repeating elements and balance - 3 blacks, 3 light colored papers - and I used felt alphabet letters for the first time!
Assignment #2 - repetition using a sketch - 3 pinks, 3 snowflakes, 3 bright blues
Real Life Color - assignment - use grey as the base and complimentary colors (lime green and bright red) as accent colors. (My background looks brown - it's really a distressed grey IRL.)
I am loving this class and the opportunity to create more than one layout each week!!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
came to Edmonton last week and I was lucky enough to attend, thanks to Naomi and Jerry, They gave me concert tickets nearly a year ago and I've been looking forward to this event so much!
The video shows her opening number from the World Tour, filmed in Montreal but her outfit and shoes (how she gets around the stage wearing them is amazing) were the same. The opening video showed clips from other cities (Berlin, Dublin, Sydney, London, Paris, Prague, Tokyo) and then it came up saying "Tonight - Edmonton!!!!" Apparently we now rank up there with those other places - too funny!!
Thank you, Na and Jerry, for the tickets! It was a wonderful concert - a great date night. And now we've seen her everytime that she's played Edmonton! The last time was 12 years ago! She has really changed as a performer!! I hope you enjoy this little taste of our night out!!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
2. I survived as a music teacher today! Thank goodness for awesome plans, equipment meticulously set up, and enthusiastic students.
3. I emptied our camper this evening so it would be ready for a long, cold winter in storage. It was such a good small investment for us and it's sad to know that we won't use it again this year. But I'm already excited for next year's trips, wherever they may be.
4. Naomi and I are heading off to take a cooking class with a local restauranteur tomorrow night. It should be fun! I'll let you know what we make. Note to self: take the camera!
5. We are enjoying some excellent music on the CD player this week. I'll tell you why tomorrow - it's a happy story!
6. Christmas is drawing closer - especially if the number of mail order catalogues arriving in our mailbox is any indication! The Royal Canadian Mint one came today, showing special coins available to collectors. There are some lovely sets featuring the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and colorful NHL team coins.
7. The sunset tonight was spectacular - bands of red, orange and yellow across the cloudy sky with black silhouettes of trees and buildings.
Alphabet Soup this week is brought to you by the letter 'G'. Go and link up at Morning Glory's blog if you'd like to join us.
These things fill my heart with gratitude:
God - our Heavenly Father who has created me for a purpose and has plans for my every action and encounter. How good HE is to me!
Grandchildren - the joy, delight, love and excitement that these little ones bring to my life is truly amazing. I am blessed to see them so often and to enjoy such marvelous times with them.
Golf - I still love it, even if I haven't done much the last few years.
Gingersnaps - especially the soft and chewy kind!
Greece - it's high up on my list of places to visit.
Green living - I'm glad we all are more aware and try harder.
Games - whether played on a board or a court, I like them. Looking forward to winter evenings and time to play often with family and friends.
Grapes - on their own or paired with cheese for yummy snacks
Germany - we have such wonderful memories of our visit to this land of our ancestors.
9. If you are looking for a little Christmas project for yourself that will help you focus on the moments of the season, go and check out Ali Edward's December Daily album project. It's so pretty!!
10. I've been burning scented candles in the evenings now and I love the glow and scent with which they fill our home.
Monday, October 27, 2008
For Today... October 27, 2008
Outside my Window... a chinook blew through last night and left a warm and sunny day for us! So nice after the 90 km/h winds and freezing temperatures we had over the weekend.
I am thinking... about how quickly children grow up and develop their own personalities
I am thankful for... safe travels as we have been back and forth to Calgary several times in the last 2 months
From the kitchen... nachos and cheese, baked beef with rice casserole, a failed loaf of poppyseed bread (yes, it does happen sometimes!), and pumpkin streusel muffins
I am wearing... black yoga pants, black and pink tshirt and matching warmup jacket
I am reading... Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
I am hoping... the problem with my sewing machine is only a little something that Bob can fix, instead of a visit to the repair shop - and that Meadow, Helayna and Silas are soon over their colds
I am hearing... Meadow's echoes of "I"m busy buildin' downstairs in the laundry basket" as she sat and connected those big bead-like things into chains and snakes for a very long time today. She mastered it by herself and was so, so happy!
I am creating... week #3 layouts in Design Your Life class - yes, I'm still behind!
Around the house and yard ... time to vacuum again and put out the Halloween decorations
One of my favorite things... the sight of colorful birds eating at Naomi and Jerry's bird feeders - there were 4 big bluejays there today
A few plans for the rest of the week.... printing some photos (great deal on at Costco this week), 2 days of subbing including Halloween Day at a new school (oh, man!), and several long overdue letters to write - oh, and Halloween treats to give out on Friday night!
A picture thought I'd like to share with you . . . . . . . . . . . .
Carefully placing one foot in front of the other, following the plank, balancing through the walk
This speaks to me of my walk alongside Heavenly Father - oh that I would have her concentration and willingness to follow.
Be sure to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman if you'd like to read more entries and to sign up if you'd like to join the group.
and included some swinging and climbing -
and some football with Daddy and Papa Moll -
Then we walked home -
Helayna opened lots of presents -
and took time to play with some of them -
Ever since seeing Meadow's backpack, she'd been asking for one so her Mommy and Daddy got her one - and she immediately wanted to go hiking!
She tried on some clothes, including a beautiful furry coat from Jonathan's parents -
and we had supper and she blew out the candle on a very cute lamb cake!
It was a wonderful party, exactly perfect for a busy two-year-old! And I must send you to her Mommy's blog to read a beautiful letter that Heather wrote to her daughter. Be sure to grab some Kleenex before you go to read it!!
Saturday, October 25, 2008
This sweet little one is two years old today!!!!
(Thanks for taking this picture, Jonathan.)
Full of energy and smiles, she has brought so much joy to our lives. We pray that God's protection, blessings and love will abide with her always. We love you, Sweetheart!
And we are on our way to the birthday party so I'll share some baby pictures of her once we get back home.
I hope your weekend has a reason to celebrate in it too!!
Thursday, October 23, 2008
"You" - sketch 1 - photos of Helayna and Bob - 12 X 12
"Orchard" - sketch 2 - photos taken in the Okanagan Valley - 12 X 12
"Sisters - Alike and Different" - Real World Colour Challenge - use orange and pink together - 8 X 8 - and that's my wonderful sister and me!
I missed creative time last week while I was cuddling grandkids so I really need to get working and get caught up now. No time like the present so off I go!!
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
2. I am so enjoying my substitute teaching jobs at some local schools. This morning I got to see some friends too - total bonus!!
3. Don't you love walking out of the grocery store when the whole bill is less than $20? There's something special about being able to do that once in a while. Never mind that it all fit in one bag!
4. I am officially a member of our local library! It's been a long time since I had a card and I decided that I do not need to own every single book that I want to read. So I spent a grand total of $6 and brought home 3 magazines, one book on the Amish, one book on praying and 2 novels. One of them is the latest selection for our book club, Loving Frank (a historical fiction about the architect, Frank Lloyd Wright) by Nancy Horan so I'm set to read it. I think I was smiling the whole time I was there and all the way home. I know I'll go back soon!
5. It was a very happy mail day! Mel and Tyler sent some delicious Nova Scotia Maple Toffee Kisses and a little note. I love getting messages from loved ones. And there were 2 new magazines in the box too :))
6. Today, over at Live and Learn, Becky talks about filling the creative well and renewing her creative spirit. Going into fabric stores is an inspiring thing for me to do and I was reminded of this.
When we were in Oregon this summer, my sister and I wandered into a tiny quilting store and marveled at the beautiful fabrics and colors.
I loved it and I did end up buying a few things, as well as taking some pictures.
7. Silas had a doctor's appointment yesterday and he weighed in at 9 lbs. 9 ounces - a gain of 3 lbs. 3 ounces. He really has grown and is already developing a personality and his own habits. He has a shrill scream / cry when he's really upset and it sounds so strange coming from such a little person. I had a great time cuddling him lots over the past few days.
8. I wish I could be in Nova Scotia to help Mel and Tyler pack as they head to New York City. I miss them!!
9. I missed doing alphabet soup last week so this week I have lots of things to share that bring me joy and happiness. Be sure to visit Morning Glory's blog if you want to participate.
- Esther, my sister and friend
- eggs - especially in salads and sandwiches
- energy - some days more than others!
- escargot - a treat in very posh restaurants
- Europe - so much to see and appreciate amidst the architecture, waterways, history and scenery
- Elfriede - my mom
- electronics - computer, camera, cell phone, CD player - all good stuff!
- eyes and ears - I cannot imagine being without either sense
- family - we are blessed with our own family, which now includes 3 grandchildren, and a great big huge extended family
- friends - so many, scattered far and wide around the country and all equally dear
- Friday - the best day of a working week!!
- freedom - to make all kinds of choices even if it won't be Freedom 55!!
- fish - our favourite is grilled steelhead trout served with blueberry sauce
- flying - such a marvelous way to see faraway places
- fresh food - homegrown or from the farmer's market is best - I wish we had a year round one that was close by
- fondue - I like the leisurely pace and all the visiting that happens at the same time
It really is fun to document life this way, as you think, challenge yourself and then are very grateful for all of the items.
10. I think I need an afternoon nap! What a treat that would be!!
Monday, October 20, 2008
For Today... October 20, 2008
Outside my Window... a sunny but crisp autumn day
I am thinking... about all the things I'd like to get accomplished for Heather before going home tonight
I am thankful for... health - for myself, my family and especially our grandchildren
From the kitchen... barbecued sausage, oven baked fries, carrot slaw and chocolate pudding cake
I am wearing... black jeans, black tshirt and orange down-filled vest (that I bought last year in Austria!)
I am reading... Three Cups of Tea (One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . Once School at a Time) by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin - haven't got very far in this so it's still on the go
I am hoping... Silas' 6 week checkup at the doctor's goes great
I am hearing... Helayna singing "Jesus Loves Me" as she drifts off to sleep - oh, that we would remember to be like a child when coming to our Heavenly Father
I am creating... week #3 layouts in Design Your Life class
Around the house and yard ... fresh buns and chocolate chip cookies to bake
One of my favorite things... chocolate covered almonds
A few plans for the rest of the week.... 3 days of subbing, haircut, Helayna's birthday present (s) to wrap, take Meadow a Halloween treat I found, pick up Silas' dresser from my Mom's house, call my sister, make a sample table number for the wedding for Kelsey
My picture thought will have to wait until I'm home on my own computer.
Be sure to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman to read more today!
Friday, October 17, 2008
make for a home that's:
- full of smiles - Silas is just starting to respond now
- got lots of sounds happening - chattering, cooing, pleading, crying, phone ringing, toys clanging - lots going on!
- got never empty laundry baskets
- always seems to have someone who's hungry
- got a Mommy who started running again yesterday - and the weather is gorgeous for her
- missing Daddy in the middle of the afternoon
- a place where Gramma likes to hang out!!
(Thanks for the picture, Heather!)
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
2. When I picked up our mail tonight, there were no envelopes - only 2 measly flyers. I think that's a nudge that I need to do some letter writing soon!!
3. I'm subbing tomorrow in a school that I've only been in a few times - and that was 15 years ago!! Should be interesting!
4. If you live in Canada, I hope you voted today. The election results are just starting to come in now.
5. Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer had a guest blogger last week and when I saw she was a traveller, I had to check it out. Elizabeth at Planet Nomad is currently living in Morocco and it's really worth your time to check her blog. Today she wrote about traffic and pedestrians!
6. Good thing there are leftovers in the fridge - I'm on a cooking hiatus after doing so much for the weekend.
7. It was a "read 'nother one" kind of day over at Meadow's house. At one point I think she had about 15 books to read that she'd picked out, up on the bed with us. I'm so happy to indulge her passion for books. (And she's going to love the one that's going in the mail for her tomorrow! It will go perfectly with the plastic spider she was playing with today.)
8. There's a gorgeous full moon out tonight - go and look!
9. The days are getting really short now. The sun didn't rise until 8 a.m. and it was dark by 7:30 p.m. but I guess we're only 2 months away from the shortest day of the year.
10. This little scene just makes me smile everytime I go down to the laundry / storage room.
I love it so much that I was kind of having trouble starting to use the stuff! The display was so pretty that I didn't want to make holes in it! But then I thought about that for a few minutes and realized the whole reason I did all that work was so we could use it - and so I dug right in!!
Monday, October 13, 2008
For a new day
The love that Heavenly Father has for me, no matter what I've done or where I am
Running water to brush my teeth and wash my face
A place to call my studio
Automatic washing machine
Leftover bones from the turkey yesterday that are simmering as soup today
Grandchildren - all 3 of them
Fresh baked pumpkin bread
Raspberry jam tasting like summer
Internet connection to check on my friends
Telephone call to my Mom
Music playing on the CD player
A package and some letters to mail - hope they brighten some days for the recipients
An embroidered tablecloth that reminds me of where I bought it at the market in Katowice, Poland
The ability to recycle at our local landfill
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake (here's the recipe from Gluten Free Mommy)
Cool clean water to drink
A printer to print out any article or photo that I might want
Forgiveness and a Saviour who took all my sins
Candles - tall green tapers still on the dining room table
Time - plain and simple - time to finish tasks, to enjoy the moments, to rest and contemplate
The book of Psalms - and the praise and crying out for help that is recorded in them
Online shopping and the designers who create such beauty in jewellery, clothing and crafts
A warm home
Our dishwasher - love the time it saves me
Turkey and tomato sandwiches with cranberry mayonnaise on cranberry oat bread (love those cranberries)
Pumpkins - love the color and the taste
Phone calls from our children
Tea in my new favourite mug (the one Mel brought from Poland)
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream (there were some leftovers!)
A comfortable bed with a warm quilt and fluffy pillows
Freedom to vote tomorrow
And tomorrow the blessings will start all over again! How marvelous God is to give me all of this plenty every day.
"Give us this day our daily bread." I have been given so much more than just daily bread - thank you just doesn't seem like enough. I need to live my life as thanks to Him.
For Today... October 13, 2008
Outside my Window... a grey autumn day with some breeze and the temperature at 10 degrees Celsius
I am thinking... about the good news we got from Tyler and Melinda
I am thankful for... the blessing of family and the opportunity to host Thanksgiving dinner for some of them yesterday
From the kitchen... leftovers!! Spareribs and sauerkraut for lunch, turkey casserole for supper, pumpkin pie with whipped cream and some yummy autumn breads too
I am wearing... black warmup pants, ivory sweatshirt with pumpkin scene on the front and crocs
I am reading... Three Cups of Tea (One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . Once School at a Time) by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
I am hoping... to have time to do some sewing later today
I am hearing... the sound of the grinder and the welder out at the shop where Bob is fixing something
I am creating... a layout called "Alike and Different" as the real world color challenge for week #2 in my Design Your Life class
Around the house and yard ... some chairs to carry back downstairs after seating 18 people for dinner, laundry to catch up on, wineglasses to wash and put back in the china cabinet, and some flies to chase down and eliminate!
One of my favorite things... leftovers after cooking a big dinner - some for us and some sent home with each of our kids
A few plans for the rest of the week....babysitting Meadow tomorrow, voting in the federal election, subbing on Wednesday, a financial seminar, pumpkin cookies to bake, a visit to Airdrie for a few days, and a Christmas letter to write to our Compassion sponsored child
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you. . . .
A tiny snippet of Thanksgiving decorating on my stairs.
Be sure to go over to The Simple Woman and visit some of the others participating this week.
Happy New Week to You!!
Our son-in-law, Tyler, has passed his first test for medical licensing and will be starting a clerkship in a hospital in New York City in November. He wrote this test nearly a month ago, after studying all summer, and it was very important for him to pass so that he could move into North America for hospital experiences. I believe that God has called him to be a doctor and this is another example of God's goodness in preparing him for that vocation. Thank you for praying for him and Melinda as they travel this journey together.
Here are some pictures from this summer. Tyler has an incredible sense of humour and is filled with energy and enthusiasm for life. He is such a good partner for our daughter - we praise God for the two of them.
This is such a marvelous example of God's blessings to us, in all circumstances everyday. Thank you for sharing our joy!!
Congratulations, Tyler - one step closer to "Dr. Green"!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
The harvest is gathered in and today we celebrated Thanksgiving with our families.
The freezer is filled up, the shelves are loaded and we are ready for winter! I am so thankful for the abundance and variety of food that we are blessed with and I am reminded that there are other mothers around the world who aren't able to feed their children every meal.
Thank you Lord for providing food for us to eat. Help me to share the abundance of all that we have.
A sign of some of the cooking that went on here today :))
One of my favourite pictures of the day!!