Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Ten on Tuesday
1. Drop over to Canadian Country Gal to enter the giveaway and check out the signs that she has in her store. There are some really cool ones for fall and winter.
2. I love the sound of rain gently falling, especially after it's been so dry for such a long time. The 1/2" of rain will be a welcome drink for crops that were really showing signs of heat stress.
3. I stopped by Staples (an office supply store) yesterday and it was busy, busy with kids and parents stocking up on school supplies. Oh, my - the conversations! I was reminded of shopping with our children and preparing for another year to start.
4. I just need a few more personal hygiene items and I'll have 2 boxes ready to send to Operation Christmas Child. Feels good to have a few things started in preparation for Christmas!
5. Great conversation and food at book club tonight. And the discussion about the book was so interesting. It was generally agreed that it was a great read with some important comments about society and our relationship with God.
6. Still waiting for Heather and Jonathan's new baby to arrive. Heather's getting tired of being pregnant. I remember that feeling - none of the clothes fit and you can't get comfortable, no matter what you do.
7. I figured out that in the last year we've been away on vacations for more than 12 weeks! That's 3 whole months!! Wow, we were so blessed to be able to do so much. I wish we could do that every year :))
Iguassu Falls, Brazil side
8. We are missing the daily Olympic coverage! It was the best TV we've watched in a long time. Only 2 years until the winter games are in Vancouver and Canada gets to welcome the world.
9. By 10 a.m. today I had the bathroom cleaned and the camper completely put back together. Too bad the rest of the day wasn't as productive!
10. Taco salad for lunch today, which reminds me that I still have some salad recipes to share with you. Here goes!
(from Bob's Auntie Lil)
Brown 1 lb. hamburger, stirring often, until cooked through. Near the end of cooking, add 1/4 cup salsa and mix in. Cool completely. I often do this first step the day before and keep the mixture in the fridge overnight.
Tear 1 head of washed lettuce (any kind - romaine, leaf, iceburg, red leaf or any combination) into bite sized pieces and put in a very arge salad bowl.
Spoon cooked hamburger over salad greens.
Sprinkle 1 - 2 cups of grated cheese (cheddar, jack, farmers, marble - or any combination) over salad.
Coarsely chop 1 - 2 tomatoes and add to salad.
Break 2 cups (or more if you really them!) tortilla chips into chunks over salad.
Pour bottled salad dressing (French or Catalina are our favourites - use as much or as little as you prefer) over salad ingredients and toss lightly.
Serves 6 - 8. Best served the same day as chips will get soggy overnight.
I can sit down and just eat this for a meal - it's so good - enjoy!!