Friday, September 29, 2006

This Week at School



Busy but fun - that describes this week at school!!

Today was our day to do the Terry Fox Run so at 10 this morning, all our students and the junior and senior high students set out on the walk through town. The traffic stops at the highway to let groups through and lots of people come out to wave and walk with us. It's been a great community event for many, many years. My class raised more than $400! Community spirit is alive and well in our town! At the finish, the elementary kids got juice and a snack - and had lots of fun playing in the leaves!!!

The weather has been so gorgeous all week that we just had to go outside as often as possible. Art this week was going out to observe and then sketch trees. It was fun to see the observation skills and interpretations of trees that developed. At the end of class, I showed them how to do leaf rubbings. "It's just like opening a present - you don't know how it will look for sure!" they said. I think this little trick is one that you remember for your whole life. I love introducing them to small wonders!!

And now it's the weekend - time to go discover some wonders in nature myself!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your class raising so much for the Terry Fox Run.

    I love the way your kids described doing leaf rubbings - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a good week! I'm so glad the weather was so nice - we get enough cold winter weather that it's nice to have some warmer days still.
    Glad the Terry Fox run went so went! I don't think I've ever done a leaf rubbing - you'll have to show me how some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school did one too but the JK class is going at a different time in about two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:04 PM

    WTG on the Terry Fox run event. Love those photos of the little ones.

    ReplyDelete