Thursday, July 20, 2006
The Great Wall and other Highlights from China
We've had the most amazing time in China!! Some of our highlights and impressions include:
1. The Great Wall at Si Ma Tai - engineering, history, the views, climbing, the guides - definitely the #1 thing we wanted to experience - we would go back in a heartbeat!! Bob, Mel and Tyler climbed as far as they could from Tower 3 to Tower 13. Beyond this the trail is too narrow and broken down for hikers but they are planning to make repairs so it can be reopened. I will definitely share more about this adventure when we get home.
2. The Forbidden City - incredible buildings, temples, gardens, relics, history and culture. The Emperors and their many dynasties are a huge part of the Chinese culture. The site is 250 acres in the heart of the city - we only took about 150 pictures, I think!
3. People and traffic everywhere in the city of Beijing!
4. Watching the city prepare for the 2008 Olympics. We saw some of the construction being done on The Birds Nest - the stadium being prepared for the opening and closing ceremonies.
5. Pandas at the Beijing Zoo - we couldn't be in China and not see these guys!!!
We are back in Taiwan helping Mel and Tyler pack up the last of their things in preparation for their departure to Canada next week. Tyler closed the bank account today! Later today we are going to pick up a rental van, have a late Father's Day supper at a German restaurant here in Taipei and then tomorrow head to the mountains and Taroko Gorge, one of the most beautiful spots in Taiwan.
Of course, I am missing everyone back home! And I am wondering about little Meadow - I have had a chance to do some shopping for her!!! Hopefully I'll be able to post once more before we head home next week. Meanwhile ((( HUGS ))) to all - and thanks for staying in touch!